Translate

Thursday, November 20, 2014

That Guy Needs an Attitude Adjustment



     The Bible is just too complicated.  Scholars, theologians, clergy, and everyday Christians spew out all manner of this means this and, no, that means that.  God loves us all, but is going to torture us to death if we are not Christians.  You must jump through this hoop and memorize that verse.  Jesus was a simple carpenters son who is going to come back and take holy revenge on all the bad guys, and that group seems to include pretty much everybody.  Why even try?  It is hopeless.  Nobody can be that good all the time.  I know Jesus was perfect, but he was the only person in all the people to ever have existed.  We're all going to hell and burn for eternity.  Who wants to live under a God like that?

     Religion, church attendance in general, is dying.  This Bible and all its outdated laws, demands, demands, demands.  All those demands go against modern civilized society.  Nobody has seen God or his son, Jesus, in over 2000 years.  Is this it?  Is this fruitless, hopeless daily struggle it?  We live for a few years if we don't die during or shortly after birth.  We have science and technology such as mankind could only imagine just a hundred years ago, and it all indicates that this is it...one and done.  I've never seen, heard, nor smelled God or any other evidence of a supreme being.  Why are we here and why just to live a few years struggling, at best?

     Hmmm...I recognize that person; that was me at twenty-three, wasn't it Father?  I was a spiritual mess.  I was running on empty after the Vietnam War and really angry at You and mankind...mostly at You.  You wouldn't talk to me, I thought.  The truth is that I wasn't listening.  I was doing all the talking, griping, and cussing.  You couldn't get a word in edgewise.  I couldn't see You.  I had let the world hide You from my sight.

     Father, You have infinite patience to have put up with my mouth.  I recall some of the terrible things I said about You.  Yet, you just turned the other cheek letting me wear myself down.  I was mean.  I was the picture of cruelty.  You know that when I go into a fight, I give it all I have.  I know You, and You knew exactly what you were doing.  You knew you had me right where you wanted me.  You wanted me to let it all out.  What an astounding game plan you had.

     I'm glad all that is over, but it was a powerful and breathtaking display of perseverance, forgiveness, and love on your part.  You never veered from the lessons You taught us and the example You set during your time upon this earth in human form.  Praise You, my Father.  Holy is your name.  Praise You for letting me come to know You on a personal level.  Praise You for not striking me down.  But I've never heard nor seen You ever exhibit one instance of anger, hate, or revenge against me.  You have shown me nothing but love and compassionate understanding.  I have never experienced your wrath.  You spoil me like an only-child.  You could have had me for far less, but chose instead to make me wealthy spiritually.  I know you are up to something, Father.  When our Lord comes the next time, I think we'll all be surprised by the manner in which He appears...again.  You give us all these hints, but we are always surprised and looking in the wrong direction.  I love You my dear Father.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment