Translate

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Do We Believe or Not?



     I sat watching TV.  A reporter was narrating the story of a man on Death Row for the heinous crime of murdering a mother and the unborn baby inside her womb.  How I hated.  I had thoughts of killing the man myself.  The man was getting what he deserved...death.  The reporter altered the story a bit by injecting his professed conversion to Christianity.  Right, he is using that to impress the judge for commutation of the ultimate sentence by man's judicial system.  Kill him...the liar.  The family of the murdered mother was unforgiving and skeptical to say the least.

     As a Christian, I was scoring high marks with our Lord.  That is why he sent this thought crashing like a lightning bolt into my brain; Acts 22:19-20 NIV.

     "'Lord,' I replied, 'these people know that I went from one synagogue to another to imprison and beat those who believe in you.  And when the blood of your martyr Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.' ..."

     Hmmm...Paul, one of our beloved disciples, was used and loved by our Lord after committing such heinous acts upon our early Christian Saints.  How our holy book, the Bible, is filled with stories of those redeemed from the darkness to be used to carry out the will of our Father.  The power of these stories like Paul's can be life-changing. 

     It comes down to this: do we believe or not?  If God the Lord and Creator of all forgives and loves, who are we to judge?  Our Father judges by a person's entire life not just a few or even  most of his acts.  It is what a man ends as...not what he was. 

     I can condemn and hate the act, but not the man.  It is our command to love the least, the worst.  It is our command to let God be the judge for only he truly knows what is in one's heart and what one has gone through to become that which he is.  Only our Father knows if that man's conversion is real, is pure.  Let us love him and support his conversion.   

     It is tough to do these things.  It takes practice.  If this love and non-judgment thing is not becoming easier or more reflexive, then we are not practicing.  Step out and separate yourself from shallow Sunday Christians.  Whew, it is tough my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Do we believe or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment