Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Self Righteousness

    Recently, I heard a person expressing some very self righteous opinions at church.  It immediately brought to mind this story told by the famous American writer, Mark Twain:

The other day I walked into the sitting parlor at my home and sitting there talking with my wife was the snooty, self righteous biddy from next door.  I had a glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigar in the other.  She looked, disapprovingly, at me and said, Mr Twain, I do not smoke or drink.  
I looked her in the eye and told her these facts; mam, when I get sick, I go to the doctor and he tells me to give up smoking or drinking for awhile and I get well.  My dear lady, when you get sick, you have no vices to give up.  Therefore, you are in mortal danger.

     Remember, our Lord said he did not come to save the righteous.  The fact hidden in his statement is that none of us are free from sin.  The lady, in the above account, was suffering from the sin of self righteousness.  Too often to count, Christians display this attitude and destroy any chance of conversion for, at least, that time and person they are speaking with.  Remember, we are all sinners and need to exhibit love, understanding, and compassion for those opportunities our Father presents to us.  Be humble and look through the exterior to find the beauty beneath.  Always, look to our Lord Jesus' example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment