Translate

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Is Humility a Sign of Weakness?

     Humble people are weak, I've heard that thrown around in conversations.  Weak here is in the sense of not exerting one's beliefs or ideas; not being forceful enough to get your point across.


     "Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less," said C.S. Lewis.  Do you see anything about weakness or wimpishness in Lewis' description?  Nope.  I see in that description Jesus Christ, and you know he wasn't/isn't weak or wimpy.  By the way, Jesus asked us to show humility in serving others for the reason that humility makes it about the other person. 


     So if being humble has a negative connotation with you...change your thinking and wear it on the outside.  Incidentally, I do not see humility as a weakness, but I certainly need to practice it more often.  I'm getting better as in I have a long way to go; in other words, I'm a work in progress.  Do not despair at the persistence of your bad traits.  Changing longtime habits takes a longtime sometimes and most times.  Like any change, it takes practice.  But it feels so good when you overcome those bad traits.  Don't give up, my brothers and sisters in Christ. 


     The occasion that brought the subject of humility to the forefront was seeing someone on the news giving money to a poor person for Christmas.  The person made sure the news was there to cover the gifting.  I'm sure the person in need was embarrassed at their situation to begin with, not to mention after the report aired.  Quiet and anonymous giving would have been very appropriate in that and most situations of giving.  I'm certain Jesus would have used that as a teaching moment: you have received your reward in this life for the televised giving.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment